- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh okra pods, cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan.
2. Cut habanero in half. Seed one half of pepper, and leave seeds in other half. Mince both pepper halves. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add minced habanero, bell pepper, onion, and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomato; cook 3 minutes or until tomato softens. Add parsley and next 5 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add okra; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until okra is just tender.